Register your heavy vehicle in the NT
Registering special purpose vehicles
If your heavy vehicle is oversize or overmass you will have to pay for a permit of exemption in addition to the heavy vehicle registration fee.
There are three categories of special purpose vehicles (SPVs) including:
- Plant special vehicle - includes bulldozers, backhoes, graders and front-end loaders that are primarily used for:
- off road use
- use on a road related area
- use on an area that is under construction or repair.
- Truck special vehicle - includes mobile cranes, truck mounted concrete pumpers and boring plants that are:
- built, or permanently modified, primarily for use on roads
- and have no axle group loaded in excess of the mass limits.
- Overmass special vehicle - includes mobile cranes, truck mounted concrete pumpers and boring plants that are:
- built, or permanently modified for use on roads
- have at least one axle or axle group loaded in excess of the limits.
Vehicles ineligible for special purpose vehicle status
The following vehicles cannot be considered special purpose vehicles:
- police vans
- caravan, mobile home, converted bus as mobile home, mobile laboratory
- desludger, eductor, water tanker or sprayer, bitumen tanker or sprayer, sludge or septic tanker, garbage compactor
- mobile billboard, display bus, mobile library, mobile workshop, mobile kitchen/workshop
- pole erectors with provision for carrying poles
- tow trucks (including trucks with retractable trays)
- concrete mixer/agitator
- prime mover used to tow or power circus or entertainment equipment
- general access vehicles fitted with equipment to lift loads on and off.
Last updated: 17 February 2020
Share this page: