Nominate an operator
If you are registering your vehicle for the first time or renewing your registration, you must nominate an operator.
This is a requirement under the National Heavy Vehicle Registration Scheme.
Who can be a nominated operator
The nominated operator is the person who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the heavy vehicle.
A nominated operator can be any of the following:
- the owner of the vehicle
- an individual who is at least 18 years old
- a representative from a body corporate or incorporated association.
If the nominated operator is not the owner, you must fill in an R13 form Application to nominate the operator of a vehicle and submit this form to the MVR with your application for registration form.
Only one person or representative of a body corporate can be recorded as being the nominated operator and they must be nominated by the registered owner.
Where a heavy vehicle is registered in joint names, only one person can be nominated as the nominated operator even though both parties may be the legal owners.
Responsibilities of the nominated operator
The nominated operator is responsible for all of the following:
- renewing registration
- having the vehicle inspected
- providing proof of the vehicle's garage address
- any traffic infringements detected by red light or speed camera.
The nominated operator must advise the MVR within 14 days in the case of any of the following:
- they change of garage address
- they change in residential address, or address for service of notices, such as renewal notices
- the vehicle is a write off
- a change to the heavy vehicle affects its description
- there are changes to the heavy vehicle's configuration that would require payment to upgrade its registration.
Change in nominated operator
If the nominated operator ceases to be the operator of that vehicle, they must advise the MVR within 14 days.
You can change your contact details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can change your contact details by calling the MVR on 1300 654 628.
You can change your contact details by writing to:
Department of Transport
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can change your details at a MVR office.