Register your heavy vehicle in the NT

Find out who can register a heavy vehicle

Individual owners

You will need:

  1. Evidence of identity and residency in the Northern Territory (NT).
  2. Proof of ownership.

Joint owners

To register your vehicle in joint names for the first time, all parties must attend an MVR office.

If you can't attend an office then the other joint owner can apply on your behalf if:

  • you provide written authority
  • and you are both already customers on the MVR database.

You will need:

  1. Evidence of identity and residency in the NT.
  2. Proof of ownership.

You can nominate who is to be named first on the registration certificate.

You should read the rules for joint vehicle owners and demerit points.

Body corporate or incorporated association

A person who is entitled to act on behalf of the company - the Managing Director or Secretary of the company – must register the vehicle.

You will need to submit all of the following:

  • evidence of identity
  • a letter of authority to act on behalf of the company
  • current copy of the company extract from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
  • Certificate of Incorporation from the relevant issuing authority (if applicable)
  • proof of ownership
  • proof of garage address in the NT.

Proof of garage address

You will need one of the following original documents to show proof of garage address:

  • certificate of Land Title of land ownership for the premises
  • lease agreement, written authorisation from land owner, or rent book showing address of the property
  • taxation assessment notice in relation to the premises
  • council rate notice
  • utility (power, water and sewerage) accounts relating to the premises.

Representatives or agents of the owners

A representative or agent is anyone who conducts business on behalf of another person or body corporate.

Representatives or agents can register a vehicle if they provide all of the below:

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 17 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.