Apply for multi-combination licence - MC
To apply for a multi-combination licence you must meet all of the following:
- be a Northern Territory (NT) resident
- have held a HR or HC licence for at least one year
- pass a driving assessment or approved training course.
Training and assessment for your MC licence
Before you apply for your multi-combination licence you will need to:
- undertake and pass a training and assessment course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- or undertake training from another source and pass a practical driving assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
The vehicle used in your Class MC practical driving test must be a prime mover of at least 3 axles with either:
- a single semi-trailer of at least 3 axles and a B-Double trailer of at least 3 axles, or
- single semi-trailer of at least 3 axles attached to a converter dolly with a second semi-trailer of at least 3 axles.
The vehicle and trailer combination must be at least 22 metres in length and loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GCM.
You will be assessed while driving on a road train route in the NT.
You will need to show you can safely uncouple and re-couple the first and second trailer.
When you have passed your training course or practical driving assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your MC licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment
- or heavy vehicle licence assessment form.
You will then be given a new MC licence once you have paid the heavy vehicle licence fee.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if you meet all of the following:
- you are a NT resident
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you have already submitted your driver test result to the MVR
- you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
Email your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to the MVR with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801