Apply for multi-combination licence - MC
Before you apply
You will need to meet all of the following:
- be a Northern Territory (NT) resident
- have held a HR or HC licence for at least one year
- pass a driving assessment or approved training course.
Training for your MC licence
You will need to:
- undertake and pass a training and assessment course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- or undertake training from another source and pass a practical driving assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving assessment officer.
About the practical driving test
Tests include a compulsory manoeuvre of uncoupling and re-coupling the second trailer, and where the candidate has not held a HC licence, the first trailer may also be disconnected.
The remainder of the test will be conducted whilst driving on normal road train routes.
When you have passed your training course or practical driving assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your MC licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment
- or heavy vehicle licence assessment form.
You will then be given a new MC licence once you have paid the heavy vehicle licence fee.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if you meet all of the following:
- you are a NT resident
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you have already submitted your driver test result to the MVR
- you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
Email your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to email@example.com. You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to the MVR with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
About the MC licence
The MC licence allows you to drive a C, LR, MR, HR and HC class vehicle and any vehicle in the MC class or combination of motor vehicles except a:
- or a motor trike which does not have a body type commonly known as, or similar to, a sedan, station wagon, coupe, convertible, roadster, utility, tray top or van.