Apply for medium rigid licence - MR
To apply for a medium rigid licence you must meet all of the following:
- be a Northern Territory (NT) resident
- have held a C class licence or LR licence for at least 12 months
- learn to drive a medium rigid vehicle from a driver who holds a current class MR or higher licence
- pass a heavy vehicle theory test at a MVR office - not required if you do an approved training course
- pass a heavy vehicle eyesight test
- pass a driving test or approved training course.
Training and assessment for your MR licence
Before you apply for your medium rigid licence you will need to:
- undertake and pass a training and assessment course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- or undertake training from another source and pass a practical driving assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
The vehicle used for your Class MR practical driving assessment must be a two axle rigid vehicle with a GVM greater than 8 tonnes, and be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GVM.
When you have passed your training course or practical driving assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your MR licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment
- or heavy vehicle licence assessment form.
You will then be given a new MR licence once you have paid the licence fee.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if you can meet all of the following:
- you are a NT resident
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you don't need a heavy vehicle eye sight test
- you have already submitted your driver test result to the MVR
- you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
Email your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to the MVR office with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801