Apply for heavy combination licence - HC

To apply for a heavy combination licence you must meet all of the following:

  • be a Northern Territory (NT) resident
  • have held a MR or HR licence for at least one year
  • learn to drive a heavy combination vehicle from a driver who holds a current class HC or higher licence
  • pass a driving assessment or approved training course.

Training and assessment for your HC licence

Before you apply for your heavy combination licence you will need to:

The vehicle used in your Class HC practical driving assessment must be either:

  • a prime mover with a minimum of 3 axles and a single semi trailer with a minimum of 2 axles, or 
  • a heavy rigid vehicle towing a trailer with at least 2 axles and a (trailer) GVM of at least 12 tonnes.

The vehicle and trailer combination must be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GCM. 

You will need to show you can safely uncouple and re-couple the trailer.

When you have passed your training course or practical driving assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your HC licence.

How to apply

In person

You will need to give the MVR your:

  • statement of attainment
  • or heavy vehicle licence assessment form.

You will then be given a new HC licence once you have paid the licence fee.

Email, mail or phone

You can apply by phone, email or mail if:

  • you are a NT resident
  • the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
  • you have already submitted your driver test result to the MVR
  • you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
By phone

Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.


Email your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to

You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.

By mail

You can send your statement of attainment or heavy vehicle assessment form to the MVR office with the payment details filled out to: 

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 November 2017