Apply for heavy combination licence - HC
From 1 October 2018, you will need to complete a training course to apply for a class HC and class MC licence.
You must do this through an approved training provider.
Once you complete your training course, you will need to complete a final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner. This should be organised through the approved training provider.
To apply for a heavy combination licence, you must meet all of the following:
- be a Northern Territory (NT) resident
- have held an MR or HR licence for at least one year
- learn to drive a heavy combination vehicle from a driver who holds a current class HC or higher licence
- pass a driving assessment or approved training course
- complete a training course with an approved training provider.
Training and assessment for your HC licence
Before you apply for your heavy combination licence you will need to:
- undertake and pass a training course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- and complete a final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
The vehicle used in your Class HC practical driving assessment must be either:
- a prime mover with a minimum of three axles and a single semi trailer with a minimum of two axles, or
- a heavy rigid vehicle towing a trailer with at least two axles and a (trailer) GVM of at least 12 tonnes.
The vehicle and trailer combination must be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GCM.
You will need to show you can safely uncouple and re-couple the trailer. You will also need to demonstrate how to safely secure a load.
When you have passed your training course and final competency assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your HC licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment
- final competency assessment form.
You will then be given a new HC licence once you have paid the licence fee.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if:
- you are an NT resident
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you have already submitted your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to the MVR
- you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
Email your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to email@example.com.
You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to the MVR office with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801