Get your heavy vehicle licence
Apply for heavy combination licence - HC
From 1 October 2018, you will need to complete a training course to apply for a class HC and class MC licence.
You must do this through an approved training provider.
Once you complete your training course, you will need to complete a final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner. This should be organised through the approved training provider.
To apply for a heavy combination licence, you must meet all of the following:
- hold a current Northern Territory (NT) drivers licence
- have held an MR or HR licence for at least one year
- learn to drive a heavy combination vehicle from a driver who holds a current class HC or higher licence
- complete a training course with an approved training provider
- pass the final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
Recording your driving test
Your class HC final competency assessments will now be recorded by an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
A camera will record the road environment in front of the vehicle during the assessment. You will both be recorded inside the vehicle.
Your examiner must keep the recording for six months after the date of your final assessment.
At any time MVR may request a copy of the recorded final assessments from the heavy vehicle driving examiner.
Training and assessment for your HC licence
Before you apply for your heavy combination licence you will need to:
- undertake and pass a training course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- and complete a final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
The vehicle used in your class HC final competency driving assessment must be either:
- a prime mover with a minimum of three axles and a single semi trailer with a minimum of two axles, or
- a heavy rigid vehicle towing a trailer with at least two axles and a (trailer) GVM of at least 12 tonnes.
The vehicle and trailer combination must be loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GCM.
You will need to show you can safely uncouple and re-couple the trailer. You will also need to demonstrate how to safely secure a load.
When you have passed your training course and final competency assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your HC licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment and
- final competency assessment form.
You will then be given a new HC licence once you have paid the licence fee.
You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if:
- you hold a current NT drivers licence
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you have already submitted your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to the MVR
- you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
Email your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can pay your fee by MasterCard or Visa by calling 1300 654 628.
You can send your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to the MVR office with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 11 October 2018