Alcohol ignition lock order

Travel or relocate on an alcohol ignition lock order

If you plan to drive your vehicle with an alcohol ignition lock (AIL) interstate, you should contact your AIL supplier before you leave to find out where you can get your AIL serviced.

If your AIL supplier doesn't have an authorised agent to service your AIL interstate, you need to consider how you will continue to meet the operating conditions of your AIL.

Missing a scheduled or unscheduled AIL service may result in a temporary or permanent lockout to start your vehicle.

If this occurs outside the Northern Territory (NT), and the supplier's authorised agent is not nearby, you may need to transport your vehicle - at your expense - to the supplier's agent.

Moving away from the NT

If you move from the NT, your NT AIL licence period may disqualify you from driving elsewhere in Australia and other countries.

You should ask the licensing authority in your new home location if the conditions of your NT AIL licence will be recognised there.

Moving to the NT on an interstate alcohol ignition lock order

If you move to the NT on an interstate AIL licence, you won't be able to transfer your interstate driver's licence.

To legally drive in the NT with your interstate AIL licence, you must apply for an exemption from the requirements to hold a NT licence.

How to apply

To apply for an exemption, you will need to fill in the L7 Application for a NT alcohol ignition lock licence form PDF (334.0 KB).

You can submit your form in person, by post or email using the contact details below.


Email your form to

In person

Submit your form to your nearest MVR office.


Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

After you apply

Allow up to 10 working days for your application to be processed. You will be notified by email or post of the outcome of your application.

As an exempted driver, you may be able to continue to drive while complying with the conditions of your interstate AIL licence.

Before moving to the NT, you should ask your licensing authority if the Registrar's exemption will in any way breach the conditions of your licence.

If your interstate licensing authority cancels your licence, you will be deemed to be unlicensed in the NT and must re-apply for a licence in the NT.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 May 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!