Alcohol ignition lock order
Apply for an alcohol ignition lock licence
If you have been given an alcohol ignition lock order by the court, you can apply for an alcohol ignition lock licence.
This is called an AIL licence - and the condition (I) will be printed on your licence.
Before you apply
Drivers with an H endorsement to drive a taxi or commercial passenger vehicle will not be able to keep their H endorsement during an AIL licence period.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- have held a driver licence within the last 5 years (not a learner licence)
- complete the drink driver education course relevant to your offences.
How to apply
To apply for a licence, follow these steps:
Step 1. Prepare your application and supporting documents:
- fill in the L7 Application for a Northern Territory alcohol ignition lock licence form
- provide evidence of identity and residency
- provide your Centrelink Health Care Card or income statement - if you're claiming the low income earner subsidy.
Step 2. Submit your application and other documents at an MVR office.
Step 3. You must also pay the AIL licence fee. You can pay by EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa, BasicsCard or cash.
After you apply
Once you've been issued an AIL licence, any vehicle you drive must have an alcohol ignition lock installed.
Last updated: 16 February 2022
Share this page:URL copied!