Alcohol ignition lock order
Apply for an alcohol ignition lock licence
If you have been given an alcohol ignition lock order by the court, you can apply for an alcohol ignition lock licence.
This is called an AIL licence - and the condition (I) will be printed on your licence.
Before you apply
Drivers with an H endorsement to drive a taxi or commercial passenger vehicle will not be able to keep their H endorsement during an AIL licence period.
Before you can get an AIL licence, you must:
- have held a driver licence other than a learner licence
- complete the drink driver education course relevant to your offences
- complete the L7 Application for a Northern Territory alcohol ignition lock licence form
- provide evidence of identity and residency
- provide your Centrelink Health Care Card or income statement if you're claiming the low income earner subsidy
- pay the AIL licence fee.
How to apply
Email your completed L7 Application for a Northern Territory alcohol ignition lock licence form and other documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will also have to pay the AIL licence fee. You can ring the MVR to pay by MasterCard or Visa card on 1300 654 628.
You can submit your application at a MVR office.
You can send your application form with a cheque or money order to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can also pay your fee by ringing the MVR with your MasterCard or Visa card number once your application form has been received.
To find out more, contact a MVR office.
Last updated: 10 October 2017
Share this page: