Alcohol ignition lock order

Apply for an alcohol ignition lock licence

If you have been given an alcohol ignition lock order by the court, you can apply for an alcohol ignition lock licence.

This is called an AIL licence - and the condition (I) will be printed on your licence.

Before you apply

Drivers with an H endorsement to drive a taxi or commercial passenger vehicle will not be able to keep their H endorsement during an AIL licence period.

To be eligible to apply, you must:

How to apply

To apply for a licence, follow these steps:

Step 1. Prepare your application and supporting documents:

Step 2. Submit your application and other documents at an MVR office.

Step 3. You must also pay the AIL licence fee. You can pay by EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa, BasicsCard or cash.

After you apply

Once you've been issued an AIL licence, any vehicle you drive must have an alcohol ignition lock installed.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 16 February 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!