Change your name and contact details: driver licence


You can change the name on your licence by supplying certain documents to the MVR.

Only original documents will be accepted. Copies or certified copies will not be accepted.

For individuals

To change your name you must have at least one category A and one category B document as well as:

Change of name due to marriage

To change from a maiden name to a married name, you need documents that link your married name and your maiden name together.

You must have:

Overseas marriage certificates, statutory declarations and commemorative marriage certificates will not be accepted as documents for evidence for name change.

Change your name due to separation or divorce

To change your name back to your maiden name, you need documents that link your married name and maiden name together.

You must have:

You can update your address and contact details on the MVR quick pay website.

Before you start

To change your address and contact details online you will need:

  • your customer ID number and your licence number, or
  • your customer ID number and your registration number.

Driver licence renewal notice showing MVR customer ID number

There is no fee to change your address on your licence.

Other ways to change your contact details

By phone

You can change your details by phone on 1300 654 628 if you fit all of the following:

  • your licence is current
  • the MVR has your digital photo recorded
  • your licence is not suspended or cancelled.

By email

You can send your new address and contact details and a scanned copy of your NT licence to

By mail

You can change your contact details by writing to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

In person

You can also change your details through a local participating Australia Post Office that provides MVR driver licence and vehicle registration services or visit your local MVR office.

Last updated: 10 April 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.