Get your heavy vehicle licence
Apply for multi-combination licence - MC
You must complete a training course to apply for a class HC and class MC licence.
You must do this through an approved training provider.
Once you complete your training course, you will need to complete a final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner. This should be organised through the approved training provider.
To apply for a multi-combination licence you must meet all of the following:
- hold a current Northern Territory (NT) driver licence
- have held a HR or HC licence for at least one year
- learn to drive a multi-combination vehicle from a driver who holds a current class MC licence
- complete a training course with an approved training provider
- pass the final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
Recording your driving test
Training and assessment for your MC licence
Before you apply for your multi-combination licence you will need to:
- undertake and pass a training course with a registered training organisation from the MVR approved training provider list
- complete a final competency assessment with an authorised heavy vehicle driving examiner.
The vehicle used in your class MC final competency assessment must be a prime mover of at least three axles with either:
- a single semi-trailer of at least three axles and a B-Double trailer of at least three axles
- a single semi-trailer of at least three axles attached to a converter dolly with a second semi-trailer of at least three axles.
The vehicle and trailer combination must be at least 22 metres in length and loaded to at least 75% of the vehicle's rated GCM.
You will be assessed while driving on a road train route in the NT.
You will need to show you can safely uncouple and re-couple the first and second trailer. You will also need to demonstrate how to safely secure a load.
When you have passed your training course and final competency assessment, you then need to go to your nearest MVR office to apply for your MC licence.
How to apply
You will need to give the MVR your:
- statement of attainment and
- final competency assessment form.
You will then be given a new MC licence once you have paid the heavy vehicle licence fee.
You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
Email, mail or phone
You can apply by phone, email or mail if you meet all of the following:
- you hold a current NT driver licence
- the MVR has your digital photograph recorded
- you have already submitted your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form
- you can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
Call 1300 654 628. You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
You can send your statement of attainment and final competency assessment form to the MVR with the payment details filled out to:
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 05 November 2019
Share this page: