Get your driver licence

Upgrade to a full licence

Changes to NT driver licences

Northern Territory (NT) driver licences issued by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) have changed.

Read about these changes.

After you have completed your provisional licence period, you will be eligible for a full Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.

You will also need to pay the NT open licence fee unless you qualify for the free licence for safe P-plate drivers.

Free licence for safe P-plate drivers

You can get a free 10-year open C class licence when you upgrade your provisional licence to a full licence.

To get a free 10-year licence, you must:

  • have held an NT provisional licence for a continuous period of 12 months or more
  • have no history of traffic infringements or suspensions
  • apply in the last six weeks of your provisional licence, or no later than six months after it expires.

The 10-year licence can only be issued from a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) office.


To find out more, contact the MVR.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 06 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!