Driver licences for remote residents

Upgrade to a full licence

Changes to NT driver licences and photo ID cards

From November 2020, Northern Territory (NT) driver licences and all other photo ID cards issued by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) will change.

Read about these changes.

After you have completed your provisional licence period, you will be eligible for a full Northern Territory (NT) driver licence.

You should receive a licence renewal notice four to six weeks before your provisional licence (P-plates) expires.

You will need to pay the full NT driver licence fee unless you qualify for the free licence for safe P-plate drivers.

Free licence for safe P-plate drivers

You can get a free 10-year open C class licence when you upgrade your provisional licence to a full licence.

To get the 10-year licence you must:

  • have held an NT provisional licence for 12 months or more
  • have no traffic infringements or suspensions during your provisional licence period
  • apply in the last six weeks of your provisional licence or no later than six months after it expires.

The 10-year licence can only be issued from a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) office.


To find out more, contact your local MVR office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 06 October 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.