Get your driver licence
Learn the road rules
You must learn the road rules before you take the theory test. This is called the driver knowledge test.
To learn the road rules, you can either:
- learn the road rules in the NT Road User's handbook and take a practice driver knowledge test.
- or enrol in DriveSafe NT - see below.
DriveSafe NT is a driver education training and licensing program for all motorists in Darwin, Palmerston Katherine and Alice Springs.
You have to pay a driver education enrolment fee before you enrol.
The DriveSafe NT program covers all driver education elements over a minimum of six months.
You have two years to complete the course once you are enrolled.
DriveSafe NT includes:
- access to theory classes and road safety education lessons
- online tools to manage your driver training
- free learner and provisional licence
- DriveSafe NT participant pack with all course materials
- subsidised driving lessons or access to trained supervising drivers
- two free driving tests
- St John Ambulance NT online first aid course.
How to enrol for DriveSafe NT
To enrol for the DriveSafe NT program, go to the DriveSafe NT website.
Last updated: 17 May 2019