Step-by-step guides

Step-by-step guides are useful to help the reader through a process.

There should be an introduction sentence with either a colon or the words 'follow these steps'.

Each step should:

  • be numbered
  • be a complete sentence or sentences
  • contain links to other pages or forms, if needed.

The name of a form should generally be repeated three times - once in the numbered step and then twice below as links to the PDF and Word versions of the document.

Short guides

You should use a short guide to help your user through a process with only a few steps and simple actions. For example:

To apply for an auctioneer licence follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the auctioneer licence form.

Auctioneer licence form (79.3 kb)
Auctioneer licence form (48.6 kb)

Step 2. Apply for a police check.
Step 3. Check the fees below.
Step 4. Submit your application and the fee at your local Territory Business Centre.

Long guides

Some guides may have more information for each step. Use separate headings without full stops for each step.

Legally change your name

To change your name, you will need to be over 18 years old and either:

  • a resident of the Northern Territory (NT) for more than three consecutive months
  • or born in the NT. 
How to change your name

If you are more than 18 years old and want to change your name, follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the form

Complete the change of name for adult form. 

Change of name for adult form (167.4 kb)
Change of name for adult form (82.9 kb)

Step 2. Sign the form with a witness

Sign the form in front of a witness over 18 years old. 

Step 3. Advertise your name change

Advertise your change of name in any of these NT newspapers:

  • NT News or The Sunday Territorian
  • The Centralian Advocate
  • Tennant Creek and District Times
  • Katherine Times
  • The Alice Springs News.
Step 4. Submit your documents

Submit your documents in person or by mail to a Births, Deaths and Marriages office.

You need to submit all of the following:

  • your completed application form
  • your newspaper advertisement showing the date it was advertised
  • proof of identity documents and evidence of any previous name changes - such as a change of name, marriage or birth certificate - making sure that any copies are certified by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths
  • a detailed reason why you are changing your name - statements like ‘I want to’ or ‘personal’ are not detailed enough
  • a marriage certificate if you are changing your name after getting married
  • payment for the change of name fee - check the fee
  • your previous birth certificate if you were born in the NT and you want your birth certificate to show your new name.

Last updated: 28 November 2017