NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme

Eligibility for a concession

You may be eligible for a concession if you hold one of the following cards and are a permanent resident of the Northern Territory (NT).

Australian Government Department of Human Services (Centrelink):

  • Pensioner Concession Card - age pension, carer's payment, disability support pension, parenting payment single

Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Card - totally and permanently incapacitated - gold
  • Health Card - war widow or war widower pension - gold
  • Health Card - pharmaceuticals only - orange
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

How to access concessions

Most concessions will be paid to you automatically once you are given your membership card. You will need to give your membership details to your utility retailer and local council.

Your property rates, garbage charges, electricity, water and sewerage concessions are generally automatically deducted from your bill each quarter. 

You need to tell the Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit if you change your address.

Driver licence and motor vehicle registration

You can apply for a driver licence and motor vehicle registration concession at the Motor Vehicle Registry office by showing your membership card at the office.


The spectacles concession is available every two years by applying through your optometrist.

Concessions are also available to dependent children under 16 years that live with you. The concession includes either: 

  • one pair of prescription reading glasses and one pair of distance glasses
  • or one pair bifocal, multifocal or progressive glasses.

The concession may cover some repairs plus other costs.

Travel - interstate or overseas

Go to travel concessions for more information.

Electricity, water and sewerage

You may be eligible for a concession if you:

  • have an electricity account or water and sewerage account with a domestic tariff charge for the same premises as your permanent NT address
  • are not running a business or commercial operation at your address.

Show your membership card to your electricity retailer and to your water and sewerage service provider to start receiving the concession.

If you live off-grid and produce your own electricity from a generator of solar PV system or access water from a council bore service or other water source, you may also be eligible for a concession. To check your eligibility contact the Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit.

If you live in a caravan park, retirement home or in a remote community and use pre-paid electricity tokens or e-token meters you may also be eligible for an electricity concession. Contact the Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit to check your eligibility.

Property rates and garbage

These concessions are for members who own and live permanently in their own home. Concessions are paid automatically by your local council through reduced property rates and garbage collection charges. 

To start getting the concession, give the Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit a copy of your rates notice and a receipt from your bank or local council showing the bill has been paid.  You should also provide the unit with your bank account details so the concession can be paid directly into your bank account.  The concession will then be automatically deducted from your annual rates by your council.

Public transport

Show your membership card to the driver on Darwin or Alice Springs bus services to get a fare discount.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 08 November 2017


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.