NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme

Concessions for people in retirement villages

Living in a retirement village does not impact on eligibility for the scheme.

You may be eligible for the full range of concessions if you are a scheme member and live in a retirement village.

If you live in a retirement village and you have to pay charges for sewerage, water, rubbish collection and property rates, you may be able to claim concessions if you can clearly demonstrate and itemise those costs.

It is the same as living in a strata-title arrangement such as block of flats where members pay such charges through a body corporate.

If you live in a retirement village and use pre-paid electricity tokens or e-token meters you may also be eligible for an electricity concession. Contact the Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit to check your eligibility.

Find out how much you can claim.


To be eligible for concessions on sewerage, water, garbage and property rates while living in a retirement village you must provide all of the following:

  • documented proof of your lifetime occupancy that includes a premium payment - this can be an occupancy agreement, a licence or a lease but not a recurring charge such as rent
  • itemised receipts - tax invoices – for charges you have paid.

You are responsible for providing the paperwork for your own concession claim.

When to provide receipts

You will need to provide new receipts every time you make a claim.

How often to claim

You will need to make a new claim each time you pay the retirement village.

Back-dating claims

If you live in a retirement village, you may be entitled to claim concessions for costs back to 1 March 2017 when the scheme was changed to include retirement villages. Retirement villages were told about this change by the NT Government.

You must submit all claims for backdated costs before the current Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme ends on 30 June 2018.  From July 1 2018, two new schemes - the Seniors Recognition Scheme and the NT Concession Scheme - will come into effect, as well as new arrangements for backdating payments.  Find out more information about the new schemes.

Check if you are eligible

If you are unsure if you are eligible for concessions you should contact the NT Concessions Unit on 1800 777 704 or email pensionerconcessionunit@nt.gov.au. You can also visit one of the Territory Families regional offices.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 15 March 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.