Overseas qualification assessment

If you have an overseas tertiary or higher education qualification, you can ask the Office of Multicultural Affairs to assess how it compares to similar Australian qualifications.

If you want your qualification assessed for its academic status or professional standard so you can get admitted into a course of study, contact the appropriate university, professional body or registration authority.

To read more about skills assessments for migration, including information about visa requirements, go to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Who can have their qualification assessed

You must live in the Northern Territory (NT) and be one of the following:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a permanent Australian resident
  • a person who holds a valid Australian work visa or student visa.

Overseas qualifications that can be assessed

The Office of Multicultural Affairs can assess tertiary and higher education qualifications. This is usually diplomas, bachelor degrees, masters degrees and PhDs.

Overseas qualifications that cannot be assessed

The following qualifications cannot be assessed:

  • health professions - for example, nursing
  • engineering
  • teaching
  • short courses (less than one year)
  • single subjects
  • incomplete qualifications
  • secondary school qualifications
  • trade and vocational certificates
  • work experience, either professional or technical
  • credit towards further study and English language skills.

See the list of skills recognition, licensing and regulating bodies below that may be able to assess your qualification.

Book an appointment

You need to book an appointment to have your overseas qualification assessed.

You can book an appointment from 8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday. To book phone (08) 8999 3891 or (08) 8999 3894 or email multiculturalaffairs.dcm@nt.gov.au.

There is no fee for a comparative education assessment. You will have to pay a fee if you need to have your qualifications and transcripts translated into English.

What to bring to your appointment

You must bring all of your required documents or your application for an assessment may not be accepted.

You must bring original or certified copies of all of the following:

  • passport
  • visa or residency certification
  • qualification award
  • academic transcript
  • evidence of name change if you have changed your name - such as a marriage certificate.

All of your documents need to be in English, or be translated into English.

Contact Interpreting and Translating Service NT for help to get your documents translated.

Results from the assessment

It can take between four and six weeks to get your assessment results.

Skills recognition, licensing and regulating bodies

You can go to the following websites for more information about overseas qualifications:

Last updated: 01 February 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.