Travel vouchers

The expiry date on all unused travel vouchers issued for 2019-20 financial year has been extended to 31 December 2020.

If you are an eligible member of the Northern Territory (NT) Seniors Recognition Scheme with unused travel vouchers, you would have been sent a letter confirming a new extension date.

Where you can use your vouchers

You can use your vouchers at an approved travel business to book travel into, out of, and within the NT or for family members to visit you.

When making a purchase, you will need to present:

  • your unused travel vouchers
  • the letter from Territory Families notifying the voucher has been extended.

If an approved business charges a booking fee, they will tell you.

Find an approved travel business.

You can book your own travel and claim a reimbursement once you have taken your travel.

You must do this within the voucher's valid period (between 1 July 2019 and 31 December 2020).

How to claim

To claim a reimbursement, you must email the NT Concession and Recognition Unit (NTCRU) or visit a customer service centre and bring along the following items:

  • invoice
  • travel voucher
  • itinerary
  • boarding pass.

Payment will be made into your nominated bank account.

You can use your vouchers for private vehicle travel.

You must fill in a private vehicle travel member form PDF (682.0 KB) prior to departure, which must be signed by an authorised person at the travel destination.

Once travel is complete, you must email the NTCRU or bring in the completed form and valid travel vouchers to a customer service centre for reimbursement.

The $250 payment can be used for 100km of travel and the $500 payment can be used for 300km of travel.

You can use your travel vouchers to bring family and friends to visit you in the NT.

If non-members are travelling privately with their own vehicle, they must fill in a private vehicle travel non-member form PDF (657.0 KB).

Once travel has been completed, you can email the NTCRU or bring valid vouchers and the completed form (signed by the non-member) to a customer service centre.

You will receive the reimbursement in your nominated bank account.

If the non-member books travel, they must submit in a non-member travel application PDF (991.2 KB) with a copy of the:

  • invoice
  • travel vouchers
  • itinerary
  • boarding pass
  • interstate driver licence showing their residential address.

What you can't use the vouchers for

You can’t swap vouchers for a prepaid card or convert them to credit to pay for electricity or water bills.

Vouchers and prepaid cards

Even if you have unused travel vouchers, you will still get a $500 prepaid card for the 2020-21 financial year.

All members will receive the prepaid card in the mail in July if they have confirmed their details within the past six months.

If you opted to receive your $500 payment via a prepaid card

If you opted to receive your $500 benefit via prepaid card for the 2019-20 financial year, you can't swap to travel vouchers.

If you have already used your 2019-20 payment, you can’t receive travel vouchers.

Claim expenses for a cancelled travel booking

If you have incurred expenses relating to a cancelled travel booking due to the COVID-19 travel restrictions, you can redeem these costs with your 2019-20 travel vouchers.

If you are unable to travel

If you are unable to travel but are still seeking a travel reimbursement for 2019-20, you will need to present:

  • your valid vouchers
  • a letter from Territory Families
  • proof of payment
  • travel itinerary
  • proof that the travel has been cancelled and cannot be refunded.

If you are not happy with the service you've received from an approved business, contact the NTCRU on 1800 777 704 or email

Last updated: 16 June 2020

Share this page: