Community benefit fund: minor community grants
Conditions you need to know
This page provides information about the conditions you need to know to apply for a minor community grant.
If you want to apply for a minor community grant in the Northern Territory (NT), you must be either:
- an NT based non-profit community organisation
- an NT regional council.
You must be incorporated under one of the following:
- the Associations Act (NT)
- the Corporations Act 2001 (Commonwealth)
- the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Commonwealth)
- any other Act of Parliament.
Organisations must be not-for-profit and have a physical presence in the NT.
If you are not incorporated and can't arrange a sponsor, you can ask for an exemption when you apply.
You or your sponsor must be compliant with all reporting requirements relevant to the Act under which you are incorporated.
If you are registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC), you must be compliant with their reporting requirements.
Who can't apply
You can't apply or be sponsored to apply for a minor community grant if you are:
- an individual
- an organisation licensed to operate electronic gaming machines
- a body corporate or similar
- a government or semi-government organisation like a hospital, library or municipal council - regional councils are eligible to apply
- a public or private school - including primary, secondary and tertiary institutions
- a school affiliate or auxiliary body like a school council
- a research foundation or trust
- you have an outstanding acquittal from a previous community benefit fund grant
- an association that is not compliant with your reporting obligations under the Act under which you are incorporated or to ACNC if applicable
- you have two minor grant applications waiting a decision
- you have two active minor grant applications.
You can only have two active applications at any time.
This includes applications that are:
- waiting a decision
- approved, but not acquitted.
You can't apply for minor community grants funding for any of the following:
- operational or core business activities
- commercial ventures, developments or outputs
- experimental or pilot programs, unless future funding is guaranteed
- funding to cover debts - this includes reimbursement for completed projects and loan repayments
- funding for projects that have already commenced or will commence prior to the notification date.
You also can't apply for recurrent expense funding. This includes regular salaries and wages, administration expenses and short-life equipment.
Salaries for one-off events and projects are permitted for non-core business activities.
The following projects won't be funded:
- transient or temporary projects that do not contribute to community improvement
- projects that are not consistent with fund objectives
- projects that may be considered inappropriate or offensive
- fundraising activities
- political or religious activities
- projects that may negatively impact business or compete with local commercial activities
- projects that are the responsibility of another government funding program, unless the other program does not have capacity to provide the funds
Projects that start before your grant is approved will not be funded.
Do not purchase goods, services or equipment included in your application until you have received formal funding approval.
Last updated: 15 October 2020
Share this page: