Community benefit fund: major community grants
How your application is assessed
This page provides information on how your application for a major community grant is assessed.
Your application will be assessed by the community benefit fund (CBF) committee.
The committee is made up of representatives appointed by the responsible Minister. It consists mainly of non-government community representatives from across the Northern Territory.
The committee considers all funding applications and makes recommendations to the Minister who will ultimately determine if a grant will or will not be funded.
Step 1. Check
The CBF secretariat will check the following:
- you are an eligible organisation
- your organisation is meeting its reporting obligations under the Act under which it is incorporated or with Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission if applicable
- your organisation does not have any outstanding acquittals with the CBF.
The secretariat will attach a funding history for your organisation to your application.
Step 2. Assessment
Your application will then be assessed by the CBF committee to ensure it:
- meets the eligibility requirements
- seeks funding for a permitted activity, purpose or project
- aligns with the priorities
- contains quotes - preference given to quotes from the Northern Territory
- has a co-contribution towards the cost of the project - including in-kind
- represents value for money
- has a wide reaching positive impact in the community
- demonstrates the ability to self-fund if the project is ongoing
- includes an accurately costed and viable budget
- demonstrates planning, including identifying outcomes
- has evidence of community support or involvement
- has a strong community development focus.
Other factors that will be taken into consideration include:
- how much funding your organisation has already received from the CBF
- what other applications have been submitted in that round
- whether your organisation has the capacity to deliver the project
- evidence of sound financial management
- how much funding your organisation already receives from other sources
- how much funding is available in the round.
Step 3. A decision is made
Once an outcome has been determined for your application, the CBF secretariat will write to you to advise you of the outcome of your application.
Read the funding rounds to find out when you will be notified.
Last updated: 31 August 2018